SPRING Season commencing 31st of August 2019 – orders open now.
Southern Harvest Association’s (SHA) multi-farm produce box scheme is now available for pick-up at:
- Bungendore (NSW) – SHA Farmers Markets, Saturday 930am-12pm
- ANU Canberra (ACT) – Fenner School, Tuesdays 5-6pm
- Queanbeyan (NSW) – Location TBA, Tuesdays 5-6pm
- Fyshwick (ACT) – Canberra City Farm, Thursday 4-6pm
- Downer (ACT) – Downer Shops, Community Centre, Friday 430-530pm.
We are taking expressions of interest for subscribers and volunteers in additional locations. Please let us know if you think there is potential for a site near you. For us to activate a new site we need 10-15 subscribers and 1-2 volunteers. New sites in development include:
- Phillip (ACT) – Banjo’s Paddock Stall at Southside Farmers Market, Sunday 10-11am.
- West Belconnen (ACT) – location TBA, Tuesdays or Sunday evening.
- Wamboin (NSW) – Norton Rd. Saturday afternoon or Sunday.
Our produce box scheme follows the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model, and aims to, as directly as possible, connect Farmers and Eaters. Subscribers are asked to commit to the thirteen week season and purchase in advance, a share of the Farmers’ produce. They then receive fruit, vegetables and nuts as they are harvested, often the day they are harvested, each week for the season. Consumers commit to supporting farmers through the season and share the ups and downs of food production.
Southern Harvest is committed to facilitating this link between Farmer and Eaters by aggregating local produce, to provide a greater variety than one small farm could sustain, while expanding market opportunities for small farmers and ensuring they receive fair retail prices for their food.
The scheme is now coming to the end of it’s second year and we are excited by the ongoing growth and potential. We have seen an amazing variety of produce over the past two years, and the positive growth of a number of local farms.
Subscribers have enjoyed the opportunity to sample new and often unfamiliar vegetables while learning about seasonal food production in their region. As the produce is direct from the farm it is as fresh as could be possible, and as we prioritise regeneratively grown, clean and chemical free produce, it can’t get any better.
The Spring season commences on Saturday the 31st of August at Bungendore, Tuesday 3rd of September at ANU and Queanbeyan, Thursday 5th at Fyshwick and Friday 6th at Downer, and runs for 13 weeks.
The produce costs (options listed below) are paid direct to the farmer. Southern Harvest Association is a volunteer led, not-for-profit organisation and therefore we ask consumers to directly pay the costs of administration and contribute something for the volunteers who work to facilitate the scheme. This cost is $6, of which $4 is for administration and processing and $2 is to cover the cost of produce for volunteers. For every 15 subscriptions we can provide a standard size produce box to a volunteer. Anyone, including subscribers, who can volunteer for 2-2.5 hours of packing and distribution, then get credited the cost of their box that week.
- Standard box $36 – $30 of produce, usually 10 different items valued at $3 each, mostly vegetables with 1-2 items seasonal fruit;
- Half box $21 – $15 of produce, usually 5 different items valued at $3 each, mostly vegetables with possibly 1 seasonal fruit item;
- Extended box $45 – as for the standard box with an extra 3 items of fruit or vegetables (subscribers choice);
- Double box $66 – twice the standard box however, no second processing fee is charged;
- Double Extended box $84 – a double box with a 6 item fruit and/or vegetable extension.
Added extras such as veggie staples like potatoes/onions/garlic, meat, eggs, bread, milk, cheese, pickles and preserves, honey, muesli, chai, handmade soap and shampoo bars, herbal teas, olive oil, fresh herbs and spices, nuts, and kombucha are available for order separately. Availability may vary with pick-up locations due to storage and food handling constraints.
For more information or to order your produce box, contact our produce coordinator Ruth by filling in the form below