SUMMER Season commencing 28th of November 2020
– ORDERS OPEN
Southern Harvest Association’s (SHA) multi-farm produce box scheme is now available for pick-up at:
- Bungendore (NSW) – Saturday 930am-1130am
- ANU Canberra (ACT) – Tuesdays 5-6pm – indefinitely suspended
- Queanbeyan East (NSW) – Tuesdays 5-6pm
- Weetangera (ACT) – Tuesdays 530-6pm
- Lyons (ACT) – Thursdays 5-6pm
- Fyshwick (ACT) – Canberra City Farm, Thurs 5-6pm & Tues 5-6pm
- Downer (ACT) – Thursday 445-6pm, Tuesday 515-630pm
- O’Connor (ACT) mini hub – Tuesdays (limited places available)
- Gordon (ACT) mini hub – Tuesdays (limited places available)
- Delivery is available for an extra $5 charge.
We are taking expressions of interest for subscribers and volunteers in additional locations. Please let us know if you think there is potential for a site near you. For us to activate a new site we need 10-15 subscribers and 1-2 volunteers.
Mini hubs are where up to five people whio live near to each other take turns picking up the produce and taking it to the hub. The hub is usually the home of one of the subscribers where the produce can be left for pickup in a safe and protected location. New sites/mini hubs in development include:
- Kambah (ACT)
- Wamboin (NSW)
- Barton (ACT)
- Gungahlin (ACT)
ABOUT THE SCHEME: Our produce box scheme follows the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model, and aims to, as directly as possible, connect Farmers and Eaters. Subscribers are asked to commit to the thirteen week season and purchase in advance, a share of the Farmers’ produce. They then receive fruit, vegetables and nuts as they are harvested, often the day they are harvested, each week for the season. Consumers commit to supporting farmers through the season and share the ups and downs of food production.
Southern Harvest is committed to facilitating this link between Farmer and Eaters by aggregating local produce, to provide a greater variety than one small farm could sustain, while expanding market opportunities for small farmers and ensuring they receive fair retail prices for their food.
The scheme is in it’s third year and we are excited by the ongoing growth and potential. We have seen an amazing variety of produce over the past three years, and the sustainable growth of our of local farms and food community. Subscribers have enjoyed the opportunity to sample new and often unfamiliar vegetables while learning about seasonal food production in their region. As the produce is direct from the farm it is as fresh as could be possible, and as we prioritise regeneratively grown, clean and chemical free produce, it can’t get any better.
The produce costs (options listed below) are paid direct to the farmer. We believe that farmers should be paid the true cost of their food and be supported to bring us fresh, nutritional food while caring for the land they farm. Southern Harvest Association is a farmer led, volunteer run, not-for-profit organisation and therefore we ask consumers to directly pay the costs of administration and contribute towards produce for the volunteers who work to facilitate the scheme. This cost is 30% of the produce costs. For every 15 subscriptions we can provide a standard size produce box to a volunteer. Any subscriber who can volunteer for 2-2.5 hours of packing and/or distribution, then gets credited the cost of a standard box that week.
- Standard box $41.60 – $32 of produce, usually 8-10 different items valued at $2-4 each, mostly vegetables with 1-2 items seasonal fruit;
- Half box $20.80 – $16 of produce, usually 4-6 different items valued at $2-4 each, mostly vegetables with 1 seasonal fruit item;
- Extended box $52 – as for the standard box with an extra 2-3 items of fruit or vegetables (subscribers choice);
- Double box $83.20 – twice the standard box;
- Double Extended box $104 – a double box with a 4-6 item fruit and/or vegetable extension.
Added extras such as veggie staples like potatoes/onions/garlic, meat, eggs, bread, milk, cheese, pickles and preserves, honey, muesli, pasta, chai, handmade soap and shampoo bars, herbal teas, olive oil, fresh herbs and spices, nuts, and kombucha are available for order separately. These will be packed with your fresh produce box and ready when you pickup. Availability of some products may vary with pick-up locations due to storage and food handling constraints.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: From Summer 2019 all subscribers were asked to pay a one off coolroom levy. We have struggled in the past to cover the costs of coolroom storage through the increasingly hot summers. Therefore, we are in the process of gradually building our own facility at Canberra City Farm and are asking for the participants of the Produce Box Scheme to help us finance it. Stage one was ready for the Autumn season 2020, with our first container coolroom up and running, and was the reason we had the capacity to open two new locations. With the price restructure for Winter 2020 the levy amounts have reduced. The stage two container was moved on to site during the Winter season and supplied a dry store for items such as potatoes and pumpkins. The next stage is to get the two containers level and cover them with a roof to protect our volunteers and workers from the elements. The levy payment includes a year’s Southern Harvest Individual Membership and varies according to box size as follows:
- Half box = $23.06
- Standard box = $46.12
- Extended box = $63.59
- Double box = $92.24
For more information or to order your produce box, contact our produce coordinator Ruth by filling in the form below