- This event has passed.
On-farm Permaculture Design Certificate
27 August, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 28 August, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 9:00am on Saturday, repeating until 22 October, 2016
One event on 12 November, 2016 at 9:00am
Part time modular course
Your pathway to securing a sustainable lifestyle
Weekends from 27th August to 13th November 2016
This course requires a minimum of 12 students to proceed. Places are limited.
- Wanting to learn more about sustainable land practices?
- Seeking a lifestyle change?
- Looking to move to the country?
- Have land, but now what?
This course is for you!
Graduates leave this course ready to design and implement permaculture principles into a wide range of scenarios, including their own property. The course is taught both within the classroom (theory) and on-farm environments (practicals) including field trips to working properties.
This course is accredited by the Permaculture Institute. You’ll receive a certificate which is recognised by all major permaculture certifying bodies and many world-wide universities.
Permaculture is a set of principles guiding sustainable and productive systems for living, architecture, food production, land management and community. No chemicals and no excuses! Just good, thoughtful, innovative and effective design.
Students are invited to bring details of their own sites or potential sites to consider during the course of the program.
Our on-farm permaculture design certificate course enables you to extend your learning by being on a working farm complete with animal systems, working gardens, dams, food forests and more…
- Property Design including Patterns and Climate Factors
- Water and Trees
- Animal systems
- Designing for Climate
- Soil and Earthworks
- Property Planning
What you’ll need to bring:
- Wear warm clothing for the outdoors
- Light weight gloves
- Notebook and pen
Lunch, morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Course price includes printed notes.
We recognise that this is a significant investment in your future. Please contact us about payment plans, if required.
Your instructors *:
- John Champagne
- Penny Kothe
- Bruce Davidson
- Aaren Sorenson
- Dan Deighton
(more information on your instructors can be found online)
* Subject to change
This format provides ample time to reflect, digest and apply with six individual weekends over the course of three months.
- August 27 and 28 – Water and trees including planning, capture, water flow and sustainable usage techniques
- September 10 and 11 – Soil and Earthworks including soil analysis, composting and earthmoving
- September 24 and 25 – Animal systems (large and small) including aquaculture, animal behaviour, needs and requirements
- October 8 and 9 – Property Design including Methods of Design, Patterns and Climate Factors
- October 22 and 23 – Designing for Climate with a focus on the temperate climate. Includes all climate zones, property and structural design for climate
- November 12 and 13 – Permaculture and Community, including Design Presentations
Students will leave this course confident of designing their own permaculture system. You’ll be supported by a network of professional and like-minded individuals that make up the Permaculture eXchange community.
Prerequisite for this course is a basic understanding of permaculture design, having completed an Introduction to Permaculture Course with Permaculture eXchange or another course provider.
Don’t have time to complete it all in one year? Book in for individual weekends or continue your course in subsequent years with our modular, flexible design. You must complete all modules to receive your Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC).
This is also a great way for those who have earned their PDC to attend specific modules as a “refresher”.
All Southern Harvest Education teachers live and work on the land and have a passion for engaging others in what they do. Don’t miss out on this powerful teaching combination.
Want to stay on-farm? Affordable on-farm accommodation is available, including camping and self-contained share and private rooms. Ask us for more info.