- This event has passed.
Growing Small Farm Businesses Series – FINANCE
13 November, 2016 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 10:00am on [day], repeating until 13 November, 2016
An event every 5 weeks that begins at 10:00am on [day], repeating until 13 November, 2016
- Looking to invest in your own small farm but want to make sure you can make a living?
- Already have a farm and need some guidance?
This course is for you!
This series of one-day Growing Small Farm Businesses workshops will set you on the path to a farm that can be both financially and ecologically sustainable.
You will leave each workshop with a basic knowledge of operations, marketing and finances for small farms and the ability to start planning your own enterprises. Over the course of the series you will understand:
Small Farm Operations
- Infrastructure needs
- Animal requirements
- Fruit and vegetable requirements
- Ways to value add farm produce
- What is needed in the way of people and skills
- Legislation that relates to small farms
Small Farm Marketing
- Marketing your produce
- How to work out what to charge
- Places you can sell your produce
- Key areas of promotion you need
Small Farm Finances
- Capital investment
- Overheads and their impact on enterprises
- Labour costs and paying yourself
- Enterprise costs and how to calculate them
- Which enterprises you should focus on for your own farm
What you’ll need to bring:
- Wear warm clothing for the outdoors
- Light weight gloves
- Notebook and pen
Lunch, morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Theory and practice of running a small farm including operations, marketing and finances. Course hand-outs, follow up material, morning, afternoon tea and lunch are provided.
We recognise that this is a significant investment in your future. Please contact us about payment plans, if required.
Penny Kothe is the owner and operator, with her partner Paul McKinnon, of Caroola Farm, a 100 acre mixed organic farm in the Southern Tablelands of NSW. Penny has been involved in small businesses of her own, and teaching and consulting with small businesses for over 10 years in both Australia and overseas. Her experiences are brought together with an Holistic Management focus on running a complex yet profitable small mixed farming enterprise.